Sunday, April 10, 2016

How to fill a template in Photoshop

So I showed you how to make a template in Photoshop in one of my previous posts. This post is about filling the template with your images.  

Remember creating a group with all the images in your template:  

I'll start with using the big picture. Double click on it in the layer panel. Because it's a smart object it'll open as a separate document.

To fill it with an image go to File > Place embedded...
 
Now stretch out the image to let if fill.  Close the image (Cmd W), place and save it. The image will now be saved in your template:

So now I'll start filling the other images. And you can ofcourse start working on the text for your brochure or book. 

Because of the use of smart images, you can easily change a picture.

One last thing. Instead of a white background, you can also use a picture as background. To do this, copy the background layer and convert it to a smart object. Double click on the background copy and it'll open in a separate document. Use File > Place embedded... to pick a image you like. Place, Close and save it.

It might be smart to reduce the opacity of the layer to push it more to the background.  
You also can add a Layer mask and use a black to white gradient to mask part of the background out.

There you have it: I've filled my template with my own images. I think it's great fun to experiment and learn. I hope you'll have fun with it too! 

Don't forget to follow us on Facebook or 500px


And have you already discovered our Facebook page Humans of the Nordic Region?

No comments:

Post a Comment