Monday, October 12, 2015

Life without colour. How to create stunning B/W images.

I guess it's a question of taste. And of what I got used to over the years. Most of my work I've done in colour. For me it's the colours that speak out in an image. The colours that draw you towards or even into an image. 

But recently I've started to see the fun and the beauty in black and white images. I still think it tricky to decide when to go black and white though. In our recent trip to Trondheim, I tried my hand at street photography, mainly to see how this would turn out in black and white. 

Street photography is a whole different ballgame and an artform in itself. This is one of the pictures I took in Trondheim, it's ok, but it's definately not eye-popping. Actually kinda boring. 

Just to get started I cropped it using Lightroom and did some small adjustments. Then I edited it in Tonality (mac only) and voila! A whole new picture, now the people in the picture came to life! Gone is the dull grey and brownness of the colour version! 

I love Tonality for converting images to black and white. And I think it's really cool that it has the possibility to work with layers. For those of you not too familiar with Tonality, I'll write a tutorial some time soon! 

Tonality has a good compatibility with Lightroom. So when you're done in Tonality, you can edit it even more in Lightroom. Another option is to use Silver Efex Pro to convert your images to black and white. And ofcourse you can also do it without a plugin and just use Lightroom to make an awesome black and white image. 

The end result is a picture with more focus on the main subject and the boring colors are gone. Impact is a lot bigger now.

But still: when to go from colour to black and white? The day I tried my hand at street photography it was a cloudy day. And this works actually really well for black and white. Check out some more examples of my day in Trondheim: 





The key to a stunning black and white image is the contrast and variation in black and white. Black and white is more than just two colours in your picture. Black and white is contrast, sharpness and different shades of black and white. Here's another example from Trondheim:  
 
I loved the reflection on the ground but this didn't work in the colour version of the image. Again, it was a dull image with no depth or atmosphere. When going black and white, the reflection that caught my eye in the first place, really popped out. And the whole atmosphere in the picture now reflected what I first felt when taking the shot. 



So bottomline is: go black and white for a reason. Don't cheat yourself with going black and white because you think black and white solves all that doesn't work in the colour version. This video of Serge Ramelli. has been a great inspiration to me for starting (again) with black and white. I love the way Serge explains things.

Don't forget to follow us on 
Facebook or 500px.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment