Friday, October 9, 2015

How to capture the magic

You've probably heard and read about it. With the solar storm raging, we've had some pretty amazing skies over Sweden the past days.

The night before last it was totally off the scale: pure magic! Instead of watching TV or reading my newly bought Lee Child, I checked the softservenews website to see Jämtland covered in red. Meaning highly highly active northern lights. For anyone familiar with this app it'll mean something when I say that the percentage was up to 75%.

No kidding. Just stepping out onto our balcony felt like standing frontrow on the most magical lightshow on earth. 

Although great, there's even better views around here. So I grabbed my gear and sprinted out the front door. 



How did I capture the magic?
  • You've got it. Like I said on occasion, for shoots like these, you'll be wanting to use a sturdy tripod
  • I used a shutterspeed of 30 seconds
  • My ISO was up to 320
  • And the aperture on F4
  • I guess it's even better to use a cable release, but I used the 2 seconds timer on my camera
I got back in the middle of the night. Or rather, in the early morning. So after having been out and about on Rödön, I went home to warm up and to import some pictures to see on a proper screen how they turned out. 

Couldn't help but keep an eye on the app and would you believe that the percentage was up to 99% now? No time for bed! Time to jump into the car to get to one of my favourite places to check out amazing skies: Frösön, near Frösön Kyrka. 

It was totally awe inspiring. I nearly forgot to take pictures as the northern lights were everywhere! Luckily I didn't, because I wanted to have a picture of the sky with the northern lights and with some stripes of lights of cars passing by.





I hadn't been planning this shoot. It was only by chance that I happened to check the forecast. Going out to shoot this amazing spectacle I could rely on my experience of previous shoots of the northern lights. 

Being critical of my own pictures. Seeing what can be improved, checking out how to improve. Always being on the lookout for better spots to take pictures. I'm continuously learning. 

Don't forget to follow us on Facebook or 500px.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment