Monday, November 2, 2015

Dodge and burn, part 1 // Using Curves adjustment layers.

Before I start telling about the how, let me just clarify why this technique is called "Dodge and Burn".
Dodging and burning are terms used in photography for a technique used during the printing process to manipulate theexposure of a selected area(s) on a photographic print, deviating from the rest of the image's exposure. In a darkroom print from a film negative, dodging decreases the exposure for areas of the print that the photographer wishes to be lighter, while burning increases the exposure to areas of the print that should be darker.[1]

So in short: 
Dodging is lightening making the lighter parts lighter, burning is making the darker parts darker

And you know what? It's actually quite simple, once you know it. 

One of the methods that can be used is the Curves adjustment layer.

1. Open the picture

2. Add a Curve Adjustment layer

3. Lighten the picture 

4. Invert the mask using CMD or CTLR I (so it's black now)

Mind you, the effect is not visible now, because I used a black mask. Remember, white reveals, black conceals. Rename the layer to Dodge.  

5. Add a new Curves adjustment layer. 

6. Make the picture darker  

7. Invert the layer mask to black and rename it to Burn. Now I have 2 black layers that are called Dodge and Burn 

8. Next I used a white brush with a soft edge. I set the Opacity and flow very low (round 25%) 

I used the brush to paint the part of the Dodge layer mask that I wanted to become lighter. 

9. Select the Burn layer mask and repeat the process, except that now I painted that part that I wanted to be darker. 

Although the result is very subtile (as it should be, in my opinion), you can easily see the effect by turning the layers on and off. 

And this is my end result: 


Don't forget to follow us on Facebook or 500px. And have you already discovered our brand new Facebook page Humans of the Nordic Region?




No comments:

Post a Comment