Monday, March 14, 2016

Dodge and burn in Lightroom

I usually shoot in RAW. That gives me lots of freedom in post processing. I want my image to tell a story, I want the viewer to be led into the picture. 

When editing in Lightroom you can use the brush, radial filter and the graduated filter to dodge and burn and make your images even more interesting.

I downloaded this image from Pixabay. 

First step is converting it to black and white

Then i followed my usual workflow:
- boost the contrast
- bring down the highlights
- increase the shadows
- black and whites
- and in this case I added some overall clarity

Then I added some radial filters (100% feathered) to give some parts of the image more attention.

With the brush I lightened the road a little to make it a stronger leading line.  

Then I closed the picture with a graduated filter at the top and the bottom

To see what you have done you can press Y to see the before and after

The dodging and burning gives the picture more depth and leads the viewer through the picture

So have a go. Don't be afraid to experiment. 

And: don't forget to follow us on Facebook or 500px. Have you already discovered our Facebook page Humans of the Nordic Region?






No comments:

Post a Comment